hexed by vintage flex

My first real flex nibs returned from the pen doctor yesterday; a vintage Montblanc 344 from the 1950’s and a Swiss ASKA National, which I have found very little information about.

I didn’t believe that flex nibs were something for me, but these proved me wrong. Both were bargains (yes!) and cost together (including repair cost) just slightly more than most nibmeisters charge for adding flex to one nib. I thus strongly recommend going vintage if one want to flex a little. I was instantly seduced and suspect that these won’t be my last flexy nibs.

It is something very different from writing with an ordinary, modern nib and I suspect it will take some time to master – but that only adds to the pleasure of writing with it.

If you want more in depth information about flexible nibs you find a very good blog post here – with a video illustration as well.

If someone knows anything about ASKA – please share – that would make me very grateful.

Advertisements

About dandelion

perpetually moving
This entry was posted in aska, canson, fountain pens, inks, montblanc, noodler's, paper, photo, visconti, writing and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to hexed by vintage flex

1. Daniel C. Holzer says:

Hi Lady Dandelion
    I am collector of swiss brands. So I am interested in your ASKA-Pen.
    Are you interested to swap or sell your ASKA-fountain pen?
    Kind regards
    Daniel

2. ReginaPhalange says:

Someone on the Zoss Pen List might be able to tell you something about that pen. Or maybe you can stump them all with it. :) You’ll have to subscribe if you’re not already reading the list.

This guy has lots of good info, as well as some vids on youtube, on flex nibs. http://azfp.blogspot.com/2006/05/some-fp-related-posts.html
    Also, there’s a youtuber named leighpod with flex nib videos.

3. Pingback: one year with lady dandelion – anniversary give away! | lady dandelion

4. Pingback: montblanc 344 – vintage is the way to go | lady dandelion

5. Helen says:

Nice nibs! I love flex, it makes even the most pedestrian inks look fantastic, and the already good ones are breath-taking. Enjoy!

6. TAO says:

Opps, forgot to say that I enjoyed your post especially since it has a brand of pen I’ve never heard of! Your handwriting takes on some nice character with these nibs.

7. TAO says:

I looked in my big reference book “Fountain Pens of the World” by Lambrou for Aska but found no mention. Sorry! Oh, I don’t think that link you have there is all that great. The guy is only doodling in it!

• dandelion says:

Thanks for taking the time to check. I’ll take a close up on the imprints on the barrel. I do believe that the link is a good one :D

8. dandelion says:

Hi Stephanie. I thought I had added a link to a great blog post about flex nibs, but I had forgot that. I’ve now updated the post with the link. One thing I can say so far is that one must write more deliberately and controlled than with an ordinary nib.

9. Stephanie says:

I’ve been told what a flex nib is, but I certainly don’t know enough to help. Just want to say: ooh, shiny! And your handwriting definitely looks different with them. How would you describe the process of writing with the flex nib – what makes it different from your usual suspects?